Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Elsa: The Newest of the Trupp Family

Well we've added another. I was convinced we wouldn't just yet but it happened.

Yes.....We adopted a dog. And we just love her.


Around valentines day, the hubs suggested getting a larger dog. He knew I've always loved larger dogs, though I'm attached to my Chihuahua tuco. But he also wanted a larger dog that he could take with him when he goes out bow hunting and I wanted one that would make me feel safe when he works late. And I wanted a dog that could play with the girls. Maybe not beanie (she is not into animals AT ALL lol) but definitely for Sophie.

So I found a sweet dog at a local rescue. I am BIG into rescues. She was a golden/lab mix. About 4 years old. I had her cat tested and small dog tested when I was there. Everything seemed to be fine. So I brought her home. And learned very quickly, everything was not going to be fine. While she was a sweet dog with us, she just could not handle being around tuco and kali (the cat) without chasing them. And when tuco let her know that he wasn't a "play" type of dog. She nipped and hooked his lower jaw good. I was devastated. Tuco was fine but it was painfully obvious that it wasn't going to work. We had to take her back. After a week of dealing with "Lexi" and her rescue shelter, I felt I just wanted to wait until we moved. I didn't want to deal with it at all. I felt so ashamed and guilty for taking on this dog that I couldn't handle and flipping our household upside down. Just didn't want to deal with it at all.

Then Greg had to work late. And I learned something about myself. I'm a big Wuss. lol. I used to be able to take on the world. But now I can't. Scared of everything. So in the morning with my usual craigslist scanning of real estate and farm equipment, I clicked on the pets section. I had been avoiding it like the plague but figured I'd take a peek.

There was the ad: Free Dog to a good home.



So I clicked on it to check it out. I'm so glad I did.

I contacted the owner and we texted a bit back and forth. "Ally", as she was called, was a German Shepherd/Mastiff mix who was about 5 1/2 months old. Raised with 2 cats and a jack Russell terrier. And a 5yr old and 2yr old children. I asked the gentleman why he had to give her up and he informed me that due to circumstances, he was moving to a different area that did not allow large dogs. Sounded like the perfect set up. We agreed to meet. I was determined to not make the same mistake as I did with Lexi. Not to let my heart take over. He showed up right on time and my goodness was I just blown away. This pup is the sweetest pup. Of course my heart fell for her immediately.


So here we are. The girls decided that we should call her "Elsa" as Ally was very close to Aunti Alex. And Elsa.....well Elsa just fits. She's just awesome. So full of love and sweetness. She, too, has not quite figured out that Tuco and Kali don't "play" but the mastiff in her takes over and she is so gentle.


lol She is quite bumbly as I call it. She hasn't figured out that she is all legs and a pup. Stumbling all over herself as she climbs the steps or running down a hill. And the girls (well Sophie) love her as much as we do. She still has some learning as far as finishing up potty training and learning not to "mouth" when she plays. But she is doing so well and is so smart.

We couldn't have asked for a better addition to the Trupp Homestead :-).

Our sweet Elsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment