Friday, March 28, 2014

Maple Flavored Meringues

I have a BIG sweet tooth. Almost obsessive kind. So much that I went to Culinary School for a focus on Pastry and Baking. And yes I graduated.

I learned to appreciate good, quality ingredients and how that can make a dish completely over the top in tastiness.

One of my favorite and easiest things to make is French Meringues. I could seriously eat them like potato chips lol. They are super easy to whip up and a good way to use up eggs before your next pickup lol. We get our eggs when we pick up our milk so when I noticed we had 4 extra eggs, I knew exactly how I wanted to use them.


I have been experimenting with a few new ingredients that I had added to our daily pantry supply. Sucanat or Rapadura is essentially raw dried cane sugar. Unrefined, it keeps the molasses content and is a purer, less processed form of sweetener. We've slowly been switching over to this sweetener adding it to our coffee and tea. I must say it tastes so yum! And I love that it is minimally processed.

These meringues have a faint maple flavor without being over the top sweet. They melt in your mouth and are so light! Some I accidently had under cooked but they were just as tasty as they had a more marshmallowy texture. SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!

Maple Flavored Meringues

You will need:


4 pastured egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter (optional)
1/2 cup Sucanat or Rapadura
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Preparation:

1.) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2.) Add cream of tarter to egg whites and whip in stand mixer with whisk attachment (or by hand) till stiff peaks.

3.) Slowly add sucanat. Once that is completely incorporated, slowly add maple syrup.




4.) Pipe onto parchment lined baking sheets with piping bag and tip OR you can use a freezer bag with a small cut out of the corner. 

 I have very little hands so its hard for me to fill my pastry bag, so I find if I place it in a large pint glass, its easier to fill ;-)



5.) Place in oven and once door is shut, drop the temp to 250 Degrees. Bake for 1 hour. Remove and let cool a bit before removing to a plate.


TRY not to eat them all in one sitting. There is nothing better than popping these bad boys in your mouth when you are having a serious sweet attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment