Monday, February 10, 2014

Classic and Quick Spaghetti Carbonara


PHEW what a week! This mama does not get sick so when I started to feel a little under the weather last week, I decided to lay low. Combined with the snow and ice which created an even more depressing week. I will never admit defeat so lets just say I was taking some restful time. ;-)

But before I "took my break" I made this tasty morsel and just hadn't gotten around to posting it.

My husband, God love him, is one of the pickiest men I have ever met. True, he has gotten better with time but he still turns his nose up to a lot. The problem with this is that I LOVE food. All different types of food. As well as good old fashioned comfort foods. I'm talking about Pasta. Glorious, wonderful, flavorful Pasta. I grew up on an absolutely lovely homemade spaghetti sauce that my father would whip up that just warms me up just thinking about it. You know, the rich tomato-ey kind. Buuuttt.....ol' poopsy doesn't like tomato sauce or "red sauce" as he calls it. He'll eat it if I make it but I don't want him to just "Eat it". I want him to really love it.

This is my happy compromise. Sure it doesn't have the "red sauce" that I am so fond of, but it has a creamy, cheesiness, yum that I truly adore. AND the fam loves it too. AAAANNDD its super quick. BONUS!!

Classic and Quick Spaghetti Carbonara

You will need:


  • Half a packet of spaghetti or pasta of your choice (I made some spaghetti earlier that day so that's what I used)
  • 6 Slices of streaky bacon, diced
  • 1 cup worth of baby spinach (I didn't have any on hand so I'm using frozen peas)
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 tbsp. worth of freshly grated cheese of your choice (I'm using mozzarella)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:

1.) Firstly, boil the pasta in salted water. While that is going on the stove, fry the bacon bits until almost crispy. I had peppered bacon which works perfectly for this recipe.


2.) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs well to break up the yolks, then add the cheese. Set aside.


3.) Once the pasta is cooked till 'al dente', add the spinach (or frozen peas in my case) and cook till wilted (or cooked). Remove pasta and spinach (peas) from the pot and drain, saving about 1-2 tbsps of pasta water. Add the bacon bits into the pot. Immediately pour in the egg and cheese mixture and toss pasta rapidly with a pair of tongs to coat pasta well with both the bacon and the egg mixture. You have to do this quickly so that the eggs do not cook on their own. If the sauce appears too thick, you can dilute with a little bit of the pasta water saved, adding a little at a time.



4.) Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste and that is it! Serve immediately of course. I like to add a bit more cheese to mine on the top. Because, you know....everything is better with cheese ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment