Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Main Squeeze


Today is my husband's birthday. I can honestly say I don't know what my life would be like if I had never met him. He is my "sun, my moon, My stars" to quote the beautiful Daenerys. My smile on sad days. My heart.

I met Greg when I was 14 living in central Washington. As I tell people: I was the youngest of our bunch of friends and he was definitely the older. Nothing inappropriate but definitely nothing that was kosher lol. I liked to skip school and secretly walk to his basement window, gently wrapping to alert him to let me in. And we would sit and watch TV or I would watch him play video games.


I remember thinking he was so sweet and handsome. He was the friend of my then boyfriend at the time who truly was nothing to write home about. And whenever I would have problems, he was always there to listen to me cry. I never thought he would look at me any differently then the little hippie girl that hung out in his basement room.

I got older and graduated high school and eventually broke it off with the boyfriend I had been dating. And Greg and I showed interest in each other but nothing to call serious. We ended up losing touch. I moved to California to live with my father and then migrated east to Tennessee. He moved off to Seattle with a girl he was dating. And the years would pass. I got married and then divorced. He would stay with the girl but then broke it off after awhile but remained in Seattle.

Then the internet began to grow and social media along with it. Myspace. I know. I'm embarrassed to say it as well. lol. I remember I was living in Nashville, having moved there after my divorce to start over. I had put off opening a "Myspace account" because it didn't really interest me. But push came to shove and I opened one. Not two weeks later and I received a message. It was from Greg Trupp. I remember I was working at a high end pet kennel and was visiting in the groomers room for my break. I opened the message and was astonished. The message asked if I was the Nikki Salazar from Selah Washington and if so, that he had been looking for me for years. To call him, when I could, to catch up. I was completely taken aback. And I'll never forget what one of my groomer friends had said to me. She said "People come in and out of our lives at the times they are supposed. This might be meant to be".

I called that "Greg Trupp" and that night we talked for HOURS. Catching up was an understatement to say the least. We talked more and more. And eventually I would fly out to visit. I knew, when I left that weekend to fly back to Nashville, that Seattle with Greg Trupp was where I was meant to be. Two and a half months later, I would make that happen. I have never looked back.

 
Seven and half years and many states further, and I am still the happiest I have ever been. Married with two beautiful little girls. I still marvel at the fact that I married "Greg Trupp". He chose ME. He is my everything and I cannot imagine my life any other way. The best husband, father and partner in life than I could ever ask for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment