Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Warm Comforting Taco Soup



Wow. Just wow. Such a week we had. That's really why I haven't written.

Life....like I've said before....is just hard. I mean really hard sometimes. It seems sometimes when trying to do the right thing....life just kicks ya where it counts. And all you can do is pick yourself up. Dust off the dirt. Truck on.

The problem I have with this is I'm not easy to do that sometimes. I am after all human.

It was a very busy and stressful week for us. I do not want bore you with the details. Just that we tried to adopt a dog and it didn't work out. And it played on my heart and soul. Sometimes life just doesn't work out the way you want it to. The good thing is I have such an awesome family. And an awesome husband.

Coupled with some other troubling news it was just a rough week.

By the time supper rolled around on some of those nights I was left completely aghast that I had left nothing out for supper.

Time to pick up and remember some of the awesome things in life....like meat in our freezer.

One of my husbands favorite meals has pulled us out of jam too many times to count. It does take a bit of preparation (as in crockpot) but not much. And I've made it on the stove before with the same results. The recipe was given to me a while ago and it just screams comfort food now. Something we crave when the nights are cold and endless and all you need is something warm in your belly to remind you of the good things.

Taco Soup

you will need:


  • 1 lb of ground meat of your choice (we have beef but I've made it with turkey for a lower fat version and its just fantastic)
  • 1 can of corn (or frozen preferable organic)
  • 1 can rotel (tomatoes with chilies)
  • 1 can black beans (I always prefer organic but this is what I had lingering in my pantry from the great purge)
  • 1 packet of ranch dressing mix (organic or homemade are preferable of course)
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning or equivalent amount homemade
Preparation:


1.) Brown meat in a large skillet and add to your crock pot.


2.) Add all of your other ingredients as well and give it a big stir making sure all ingredients are incorporated nicely.


3.) Now turn on your crock pot to low and walk away for the day. Alternately you can turn your crockpot on high and walk away for a few hours. Alternately Alternately you can throw all in pot and simmer for a bit on the stove stirring every now and then. I've done all three.


4.) When you return it will have turned into this yummy flavorful stew like mixture that fills the house with aromatic goodness.


Scoop into a bowl and add your favorite cheese. You also could serve this with sour cream and chives for an added kick. We just like ours with cheese. My whole family LOVES this meal and it screams warmth and comfort. You should definitely give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment