Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Elderberry Syrup or "Medicine" to the girls

Well cold and flu season is upon us and while, I'm not completely against the flu vaccine (as of yet) I am apposed to pumping full of store-bought drugs. Most of them come with unwanted dyes and chemicals. Completely foreign to the body. And how many times are you able to buy a medicine for ONE symptom?

I prefer to try and prevent instead of over medicate. Of course that means lots of fruits and vegetables and homemade chicken and beef stock. But also that means a daily dose of Elderberry Syrup. Now Black Elderberries, (also known as sambucus nigra), used for healing properties have been around for a long long time. Studies have shown that they contain high levels of vitamins A, B and C and really give your immune system boost. Also....side note: Hershel from Walking Dead used it to help cure the deadly flu going around and if its good enough for Darryl Dixon then its good enough for my family. JUST KIDDING! But seriously....this stuff is awesome.

Most health food and vitamins supply shops carry Elderberry syrup and it is marked to a Premium! When we first started using it, I was able to find a very small bottle for close to $10. Since both kids were sick, we blew threw that stuff in 1 day. So, after doing some research, I found a recipe which I follow and has worked beautifully. The girls love the taste (BONUS!!!) and we are able to attack the when the slightest sniffle comes rearing its ugly head!

So without further adieu....

Elderberry Syrup

You will need:



  • 2/3 cup of dried Black Elderberries (a lot of health food stores carry these and you can also order them online of course)
  • 3 1/2 cups of filtered water
  • 2 Tbls of dried or fresh Ginger (I always have fresh ginger that I keep in my freezer. Its stays fresh longer and makes it easier to grate)
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cloves
  • 1 cup of raw LOCAL honey

Preparation:



1.) Pour all ingredients EXCEPT HONEY into a pot and place on stove and bring to a boil. Once a mixture has been brought to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Continue to cook for 45 minutes. This will reduce the syrup down to about half.



2.) After 45 minutes, remove from heat and pour through a fine strainer into a glass bowl or jar. I usually lightly push on the berries to squeeze out as much juice as I can. Throw away used berries or you add to your compost pile. Now Let the mixture cool a bit to room temperature.  Once it has cooled you can now add your honey. ( I once did it before hand and syrup got SUPER thick....like molasses thick. Complete waste. So make sure its cooled off a bit before adding honey).



3.) Once all your honey is mixed in you may now add it to your jar. I have found that it fits perfectly into one of my larger Mason Jars.



4.) Now I always write out instructions (for the hubs) and tape it to the jar. That way I'm not getting constant questions on how much needs to be used. But its pretty simple. Kids = 1/2 - 1 tsp a day or every 2-3 hours when sick until symptoms subside. Adults = 1/2 - 1 Tbls a day or every 2-3 hours when sick until symptoms subside. Store in the fridge for up to 6 months.

That's it!! Easy peasy if you ask me and WAYYYYY cheaper than constantly buying it. I can also say this stuff has worked beautifully for our family. You should give it a try ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment