Saturday, January 11, 2014

Introductions




When I had found I was pregnant with my first baby I was convinced that the "Working Mom" was the life style for me. Living in Seattle, "progressive working mothers" was the way of life.  Then that little bundle of blue eyed energy came into my life bringing a whole world of new feelings and emotions. Now I have always been a health conscience person of moderate affair and was blessed with the ability to go to culinary school to explore that……I’m getting off track. Let me start from the beginning. My name is Nikki and these are my crazy adventures of stay at home mom/homestead beginnings/complete transition for our family to local and homemade sustainable foods.

I have always been a self-described hippy at heart. Always in tune with nature and the healthy ways of sustainable lifestyle. Culinary school really solidified that for me in that I was able to taste and see the difference when incorporating local and natural ingredients. But when my two beautiful bouncing girls came into my life, first Sophia in the spring 2009 and then our early Little Bean or Lilith in the fall 2011, these principles really took on a new meaning for me. I began noticing I was reading labels more closely and asking where items came from. Now I’m not saying that I haven’t stepped foot in a grocery store since then. Times have been hard and to be honest: my babies gotta eat and I had to work. But over time and much contemplation, our family has found it best for me to be at home which affords me the time to really hone in on my skills of honest cooking and care.



I gave notice at my job and November 15 of 2013 was my last day of paperwork master. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be able to practice these principles I have grown to love. Teaching my children where our food comes from is so very important to me. We started our adventure, way back when, in Seattle, spent a short jaunt in Utah, and now live in Kentucky with amazing people and opportunity surrounding us. I truly think its a good fit. While we don’t have quite the food “selection”, per se, as we did in Seattle, we definitely have a different variety. And I’ve never been one to shy away from a good cooking challenge! And I hope to be able to share some these with you from time to time.

4 comments:

  1. Super excited you started a blog!! I am totally going to follow it!
    I am really wanting to go natural and have started taking little steps towards it!
    Can't wait to see what else you post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm hoping to be able to show others how we are making the transition and taking out the "scary" of it. lol It can be a bit intimidating when you read all the homesteading/natural ways of life. Any tips or posts you want to see just let me know!!

      Delete
  2. Way to go, Nikki! I'm looking forward to seeing more, too! Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks!! I'm looking forward to writing more! I've got some much stuffed crammed in my head! lol

      Delete