Friday, January 31, 2014

Oh the sweet victory that is Homemade Ice Cream



If there is one thing our family goes through lightning fast, its ice cream. It first started with Greg who was already pretty addicted to it. Almost every night, he would sit down on the sofa, while the stupid cat looked on hungrily, gulping down his night time bowl of store bought vanilla ice cream. Then the girls got wind of this creamy bowl of heaven and it seemed an epidemic had begun in the Trupp Homestead.

Since we had already begun transitioning to homemade/from scratch food, naturally an ice cream maker was top on my wish list. A couple of Christmases ago, I received it. Opening up the beautiful box to see my Kitchen aid Ice Cream Maker attachment, I knew that this would become a main appliance in the household along side such things as the refrigerator and oven. And then when I started making ice cream it was confirmed.

I have made this recipe so many times, now, that I don't even have to look it up anymore. I usually make it once a week with my weekly butter and bread recipes. Luckily it only requires a few steps and then the Kitchen aid does most of the work. And the flavor possibilities are endless!

Homemade Ice Cream

You will need:


  • 2 Cups Heavy Cream
  • 1 Cup of milk
  • 3/4 cups of sugar
  • 1 tbsp. of flavoring of choice (we are personally on a Coffee flavored kick so I've been adding Coffee Extract)
Preparation



1.) Mix all ingredients in a bowl thoroughly. The original recipe advised warming the cream and milk with the sugar until sugar has dissolved but I have never done that and never had a problem.

2.) Add to your Ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions. I LOVE my kitchen aid attachment and advise anyone who has a kitchen aid to get this little baby.



3.) After all is mixed in, turn on and walk away. Let that bad boy do its work. Once you open it up and taste that sweet soft serve, your heart will melt. And let me tell you, You all know I am a Raw Milk junky. But if you can get your hands on some DO IT!! Makes the creamiest, sweetest ice cream you have ever tasted.



That is it!! Now I have made so many different combinations using this recipe. Vanilla: Just switch out the coffee extract for vanilla extract. Peppermint Stick: Use Vanilla but add some crushed peppermint candies to it. I made my dad Blackberry Ice Cream by adding the vanilla plus a couple cups of blackberries that I had saved from the summer harvest. Just play around with it! Oh and don't forget to share your recipe ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment