Friday, January 17, 2014

Mmmm.....Butter.




*sigh* I love butter. And I mean I REALLY love butter. That and bread. Two of my most favorite things in the food world. We go through a lot of butter in our house. And over time we have turned, slightly, into butter snobs. It's not mistake that you will see two different butter dishes on our counter. They both hold two completely separate butters. We have a regular vintage pyrex (I LOVE vintage pyrex) with organic, store bought, unsalted butter. We call this our "Cooking Butter". And then we have a butter bell to keep fresh our "Eating butter". Because, as much as I would love to be able to have an unlimited supply of fresh, homemade, grassfed, pastured butter, It just isn't in the cards right now. At least not until we are able to buy our very own dairy cow. Ah....dreams.

So What I'm going to do until then is skim the delicious heavy cream that comes on the top of my Raw milk every week and make this our eating butter. Butter really isn't that difficult to make. And you don't even really need to have raw milk (though I highly recommend it) to make it. Nor a butter churn ;-). But that would be super cute right?!

Homemade Butter

You will need:


  • 2 Cups Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 tsp Salt (or to taste)
Preparation



1.) Take your cream and salt and throw in your stand mixer with whisk attachment OR food processer. Yes you can do it by hand but its going to take an awful long time.


  2.) Now cover with towel. This is important. Purely for your kitchen cleanliness. Turn your mixer on high. First the cream is going to start to whip into whipping cream and then it will, slowly, start to separate. It will seem like its taking forever but I promise you its worth the wait. I usually am cleaning up around the kitchen while this is going. Once it starts to sound a lot like splashing in there, its probably done.

 
 
3.) Lift up your towel and look at the glorious little specks of butter in your bowl. SOOOO EXCITING!!  Drain out your butter milk into a bowl and reserve for pancakes or waffles later on. SUPER tasty. Make sure you use it within 3 days though.
 
 
4.) Now, this is important, you are going to want to rinse out your butter under cold water as best you can. I usually squeeze it through my fingers trying to squeeze out as much butter milk as I can. If this is not done, your butter will turn rancid pretty quickly. Once the water runs clear, you are done!!
 
Now take your HOMEMADE BUTTER and smear it on some freshly made toast and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment