Friday, January 24, 2014

Life....Sometimes



There are times when it feels like the world is your oyster. You are flying high and can touch the stars if you want. Everything seems to be in the right place and nobody and nothing is going to bring you down. And then there are other days. Days when whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. When all you want to do is rewind the day like an old VCR watching it in reverse until you are sleeping soundly awaiting your alarm to start the day fresh. Yep its been a couple of those these few days.

We were dealt with two Mega hits in a day this past week. Firstly, my husbands paycheck was a bit short as we hadn't calculated in the lost hours for a death in the family. Sure we have a little savings but we are trying to build that up again remember. No biggie right? We have food and meat so that will cover some costs lost until next paycheck. Well then there's the other. Nothing like coming home to a non-freezing freezer. Remember that post I did a couple weeks ago of our big meat purchase and buying bulk?? Yep that was it. Gone. I was able to salvage a couple chops and 1 package of chicken. But the rest was black and soft. It was a slow thaw. *sigh*. Such a waste. That's what bothered me the most. All is wasted. There was some venison in that freezer too from a dear friend that had rotted as well. Such a waste.

Now one can handle these one of two ways. Worry worry worry until you make yourself sick and you're snapping at all and everyone. OR. Drive on. Move onward and upward. Make lemon curd out of lemons. Or Chicken salad out of Chicken Sh*@ as my father would say. I feel this is the foundation of homesteading for me. Break away all the romantic thoughts of animals and fresh food and home. To me, Homesteading is making the most with what you have. So you AREN'T running to the stores. This will be tough as we definitely are a MEAT and potatoes kind of family, but its not impossible.
 
This also means being there for each other. A marriage works as a team. The family works as a team. When one is down, the other needs to pick up and be a rock. And to be honest...My husband is an amazing rock. No matter how down or worried I get, he is always there to remind me that "this too shall pass". Of course he says it super guy like fashion and in different words lol. But you get my drift. And when he is down, Its my turn to pull up my big girl panties and rock on. I know that these were two big blows for him. As a man, he wants to provide the best way possible for his family. And he does in more ways than he will ever know. But this is one time when I can utilize all those skills that I have been honing for the past couple years as a Stay At Home Mom and Future homesteader. Making as much as I can from scratch with just the pantry staples and whatever else we have. This is my way of "providing for my family". Its my way of being there for my husband. And being the best mommy and wife I can be.

Times are hard. But we are here for each other. And in the end. That's really all that matters. Being here for my children is the best thing I can do for them. I've been in the kitchen all morning making butter and yogurt and granola. Now I'm soaking and cooking beans for supper tonight. We have some bacon and we are going to make it last! Going to be nice for my husband to come home to a big bowl of hearty bean and bacon soup I think. That coupled with our girls' smiling faces and a nice clean(ish) house (lol I've got kids!! trying to clean with two children is like trying to brush your teeth with oreos!!), I think we will be alright :-)


2 comments:

  1. You are amazing, Nikki. What perspective. Greg is one lucky hubby and via versa. And the girls are being raised with a much greater richness then many will ever know. You keep on keepin' on, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Thanks Anna! I feel I'm the lucky one :-)

    ReplyDelete